German Design Award GOLD 2023
flexxica acoustic Bell with the German Design Award GOLD 2023!
We are delighted to announce that the family of acoustic luminaires flexxica acoustic ecoPET Bell received the highest German Design Award »GOLD« 2023, in the category of Excellent Product Design, awarded to the Lighting industry. We are all the more pleased with this distinction, as we have been awarded this prestigious award for the second year in a row. Last year, the Jungle decorative luminaire was awarded the German Design Award 2022 »GOLD«in the category of Excellent Product Design for the Lighting industry.
flexxica acoustic ecoPET Bell is a family of oversized luminaires dedicated to office spaces. The main innovation of these acoustic luminaires is the combination of:
- the functionality of high-quality light sources with a glare-free design to protect users' eyes;
- the acoustic properties of the lampshade, which absorb sounds and improve the acoustic properties of the room;
- eco-friendly material that is made from recycled PET bottles;
- tongue and groove assembly technique.
Despite the strong visual setting, the family of flexxica acoustic ecoPET Bell acoustic luminaires creates a cozy atmosphere in the office.
Statement of the jury
The decorative »Flexxica Acoustic ecoPET Bell« combines a special lighting atmosphere with sound insulation and sustainability in a holistic design approach. The central design element is thick, acoustically effective slats made of recycled PET bottles. The slats form the shape of a bell with light both shining downwards and penetrating through the spaces between the slats. The way in which functionality and form merge into a product with its own unmistakable identity, while also addressing the issue of sustainability, makes the design exemplary in every respect.
Bell embodies a contemporary reinterpretation of a traditional lampshade but enlarged to massive dimensions. This hanging lamp comes in two sizes – large and extra-large. With its elegant language of form and material softness, this pendant luminaire yields a visually highly appealing quality in every office space – additionally, the acoustic properties of the lampshade that absorb sounds improve the work comfort. The lamp concept is based on a bell-shaped with a ribbed arrangement that lends the shade an elegant and spatial appearance, while its ecoPET panels quality creates a pleasant room ambiance. The wide light distribution angle of the pendant luminaire allows homogeneous illumination of vast areas, while the glare-free light is perceived as efficient and easy on the eye.
Bell wall lamp is characterized by timeless elegance while taking deep care of the natural environment – lamps are made from synthetic felt manufactured from recycled PET bottles. Following a contemporary design approach, the Bell sconce has achieved a sculptural appearance and impresses as an aesthetic and high-quality light source. When placed in an open space office, it reduces ambient noise and creates comfortable working conditions. Thanks to the large dimensions of the wall lamp, it offers a new 3D light effect that accentuates walls in a refined light to create a gentle backlight. As part of the Acoustic ecoPET Bell lighting series, this wall lamp was designed for installation in office spaces for indirect ambient lighting. The tongue and groove assembly parts are filigrees yet robust, while their simplicity conceals a technology-complex structure.
German Design Award
The German Design Awards are the premium award of the German Design Council. With its worldwide spectrum and international appeal, it is one of the most prestigious awards in the design landscape across all industries. Since 2012, the German Design Awards have been identifying significant design trends, presenting them to a broad public and honouring them. Every year, extraordinary submissions in product design, communication design and architecture are honoured.
German Design Award »GOLD«
The »Gold« distinction of the German Design Awards is the highest distinction, awarded for excellent, comprehensive and innovative design work. As leading trailblazers, »Gold« title holders provide crucial stimulation for entire industries. The jury names one or more »Gold« recipients in each category, depending on the quality of the submissions.
Eleven nationalities are represented on the jury for the German Design Awards 2023. It comprises design experts from the areas of business, academia, and science, as well as figures from the design industry. All jury members are eminent figures in their fields.
The jury members for the German Design Awards 2023:
- Jeannette Alterherr; Büro Lievore + Altherr Désile Park
- Melissa Amarelo, oi toi toi creative studio
- Florian Auger; OUTERCRAFT
- Carole Baijings; Carole Baijings Studio for Design
- Roland Bechmann; Werner Sobek Design
- Caterina Bellavite; Deutsche Telekom AG
- Prof. Anke Bernotat; Bernotat & Co Design Studio, Folkwang Universität der Künste
- Marcel Besau; Studio Besau Marguerre
- Nancy Birkhölzer; PwC IXDS GmbH
- Stephen Burks; Stephen Burks Man Made
- Prof. Mark Braun; Studio Mark Braun
- Lukas Cottrell; Peter Schmidt Group GmbH
- Andreas Diefenbach; Phoenix Design GmbH + Co. KG
- Alexander Fehre; Studio Alexander Fehre
- Alain Gilles; ALAIN GILLES THE STUDIO
- Jens Grefen; Interbrand GmbH
- Luzia Hein; Studio Luzia Hein
- Prof. Andrea Lipp-Allrutz; Hochschule Reutlingen
- Sabine Loeser-Schoeps; LS Interiors
- Christine Matz; Tatic Designstudio Srl
- Jennifer Moosbrugger; Siemens AG
- Oanh Nguyen Henriksen, Dorte Mandrup
- Silvia Olp; aed e.V
- Prof. Dr. Lilac Osanjo; School of the Arts and Design, University of Nairobi
- Reinhard Pascher; Pascher+Heinz GmbH
- Tomek Rygalik; Studio Rygalik
- Mimi Sewalski, Avocadostore
- Björn Sorge; ProSiebenSat.1 Digital GmbH
- Linda Stannieder; TMRW Ventures GmbH
- Volker Stengele, stengele+cie.
- Prof. Philipp Thesen; Hochschule Darmstadt
- Prof. Pradyumna Vyas; Confederation of Indian Industry, World Design Organisation
- Sven Weichert, Curis Design
- Hanne Willmann; Studio Hanne Willmann
- Moni Wolf; Microsoft Corporation
- Jianjun Xie; Dongdao Creative Branding Group